Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Ah, my first real post (a.k.a “Me Likey CSS”)

Well, I’ve got the page looking the way I want it to. Now, all I need is some content.

Today, boys and girls, we’re going to talk about web design, namely CSS. If you are thoroughly unfamiliar with the concept of Cascading Style Sheets, I suggest you check out this simple article by Christopher Heng that explains it pretty well. If you couldn’t care less about CSS, then I suggest you skip this post entirely.

Until recently, I thought CSS was just another method for marking up text on a web page. Then a buddy of mine showed me the light. He took me to CSS Zen Garden. It was here that I learned what CSS is truly capable of. Yes, CSS is great for changing the way online text looks, but that is just the beginning. We’re talking full-on element positioning, not to mention (gasp!) getting rid of HTML tables entirely. If you’re a geek like me, this is some seriously cool stuff.

If you’ve read this far, I’m going to assume that either:
  • you have some interest in CSS, and have a basic understanding of the concept
    or
  • you’re my mom.

The two main resources that I used to learn CSS were Cascading Style Sheets for Dummies and CSS From the Ground Up, a great online tutorial from Joe Gillespie’s site, Web Page Design for Designers.

Of course, there are tons of great CSS resources on the web. I highly recommend checking out Douglas Bowman’s articles over at Stopdesign and Jeffrey Zeldman’s site, both of which have a lot of great design info, as well as serving as nice examples of CSS design themselves.

Well, I guess that’s all for now. Happy designing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home